Parents, below are some links, activities, and resources that you can do with your kids during this time. Remember that the most important thing you can do, is be present and calm their anxiety or fears. Remind them they are so loved by you and by Jesus! And if you’re struggling with how to fill up the day and keep them occupied, we are here to help! Check out the ideas and links below, come back frequently because we will update this page every week with new ideas, and follow our Facebook and instagram!
Above all else, remember that you’re not alone in this. This new normal is difficult, but we are in this together. Your church family is here for you! Community is still important and though we might be socially distanced physically, we are all walking through these uncharted waters together!
Feel free to reach out to DCE Annie Tiberg or DCE Maddy Haase if you want specific ideas or anything else that we can help you and your sweet kiddos with. We miss you and your kids and can’t wait to gather back together on a Sunday soon for CGKids!
In the meantime… check these out.
25 Ideas, Links and Resources for kids and families!
1. Read the Bible together as a family. Kids get a turn to read aloud too! If you need a kid friendly Bible, The Storybook Bible is one of Annie’s favorites! Use the Bible App for Kids (from YouVersion) on your mobile devices too!!
2. Saddleback Kids from Saddleback Church is an awesome faith based YouTube page! Watch videos of Bible events/stories!
5. Have a worship dance party. Put on praise music or use kids worship songs on YouTube. Great resources for kids worship songs on YouTube: Jana Alayra, Doorpost Songs, Seeds Family Worship, and Jennie Williamson.
7. Plan a Christian family movie time (marathon style)! Some of Annie’s favorites: the Chronicles of Narnia movie series (for rent on Amazon Prime Video), the BIBLE series (also on Amazon), and Right Now Media has some incredible quality kids faith-based videos. Visit CGLChurch/RightNowmedia to get connected to our free subscription! Minno is another good video subscription service with faith-based kids content. You can find more options on YouTube too. Kids Club anywhere is an excellent free option.
11. Act out Bible story skits as a family.
12. Go for a prayer walk at home or in a local park or forest. Have kids pray aloud giving God thanks while naming all the beautiful things they see.
13. Participate in the Christ Greenfield live stream of your church as a family. Sunday mornings at 7:30am and 10:45am! Here are some downloadable kids worship bulletins for fun! They might not directly correlate to our sermon series, but kids can still use them to stay engaged in worship! If you want specifically connected coloring pages or activity worksheets to print to keep your kids engaged during worship, check your email every Thursday for a free printable from DCE Annie!
14. Good Night with Sue & Zanmi! From DCE Annie’s friend Sue Steege, a DCE in Tonawand, New York, check out this YouTube page for nightly online kids conversations with Sue and her puppy!
16. Same idea as above but use printable Bible worksheets.
17. Challenge older kids to have self directed devotion times. You can print any of these kids devotional guides to get started.
18. Challenge kids to complete a Bible reading chart. This could have prizes or points as well.
19. Encourage kids to keep a prayer journal. This is a powerful habit and they could report on their progress back to their CGKids teachers when we resume!
20 .Challenge kids to do some Spring cleaning at home. This is a way to honor your parents and share in Jesus’ work of making things new. Get kids into the cleaning action too!
21. Plant a garden with the goal of sharing the harvest with neighbors. This is a great way to connect with your neighbors too.
23. Encourage kids to video call their grandparents or elderly friends from church.
24. Read Together! The Chronicles of Narnia, Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, and The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson are some great kids’ book series with Christian themes. Amazon Kindle has a ton of great children’s books and chapter books for older kids for download onto your devices!
25. Faith at Home Moments: check out this page of family activities you can do to get into the Word of God together! From DCE Annie’s friend DCE Megan Hoffman in Minnesota!